Online Whistler Home Shopping 16 Years Ago!
Back in September of the year 2000, I was featured in a Style at Home magazine article all about the growing trend in shopping for real estate online - Whistler resort real estate in particular. Online real estate shopping is ubiquitous these days so it seems so strange and interesting that there was an entire magazine story about it. Well, look at where we've come since then (scroll down to view the article).
We truly take online shopping for granted today. In fact, the latest statistics taken from a 2015 report from the National Association of Realtors (NAR) in the U.S. show the following trends about the modern home search process:
- For 42 percent of recent buyers, the first step that they took in the home buying process was to look online at properties for sale, while 14 percent of buyers first contacted a real estate agent.
- Seventy-eight percent of recent buyers found their real estate agent to be a very useful information source. Online websites were seen as a very useful information source at 82 percent.
- Buyers typically searched for 10 weeks and looked at an average of 10 homes.
- The typical buyer who did not use the Internet during their home search spent only five weeks searching and visited five homes, compared to those who did use the Internet and searched for 10 weeks and visited 10 homes.
- Among buyers who used the Internet during their home search, 87 percent of buyers found photos and 84 percent found detailed information about properties for sale very useful.
- Fifty-nine percent of recent buyers were very satisfied with their recent home buying process, up from 56 percent a year ago.